Tuesday, September 15, 2009

What Is Timicism?

Timicism is whatever you want it to be. It's:
  • A religion
  • A philosophy
  • A metaphysical, moral and theological framework on which to base your life.
  • What I, Tim, am all about
  • A goofy blog
  • A elaborate grab for attention
Timicism is all of those things and more. But I'll just refer to it as my religion, with the understanding that it may or may not fit your definition of one.

Timicism is not about the worship of Tim. By starting my own religion, I don't profess to be any kind of god or deity or even a prophet. I'm just some guy who has never been inspired by any of the current religions available, so I decided I might as well custom-build my own.

Timicism does not make you buy the whole cow. Timicism does not ask you to make any commitment, vow, or pledge. You can take as much or as little from it as you want. If you only find one thing about Timicism that you like, you're welcome to use it and discard the rest. (Although this may void your warranty.) Also, Timicism allows the religious equivalent of dual citizenship. You can be a Timicist and still practice another religion.

Timicism is not for everyone. Lots of people look to a religion for answers and guidance. They seek direction on what to believe and how to behave. Timicism does not provide a lot of the answers that traditional religions do. It asks more questions than it answers. Also, I don't believe that the world would necessarily be a better place if everyone were a Timicist. Sure, there would be less violence and more love, and people would laugh more and not take themselves so seriously, but at the same time I think we'd get a lot less done. It takes all kinds of people to make the world work, and the Timicist fills one niche.

Timicism is a work in progress. I have spent years reading about, discussing, debating, and contemplating theology, morality, philosophy and human nature to arrive at the current state of Timicism. But these writings are by no means a finished product. Just like a language, which either changes or dies, Timicism will continue to develop as long as the world changes around me and I continue to read, discuss, debate and contemplate.

Timicism is made up of Five Basic Principles:
  • Self
  • Fairness
  • Humor
  • Harmlessness
  • Love
And one bonus principle:
  • Balance
To read more about these Five Principles and the Five Basic Tenets that go along with them, see The Five Tenets of Timicism.

No comments: