Wednesday, June 5, 2013

God's Second Chance


I was talking to my crazy neighbor lady about my upcoming move and marriage when she told me how happy she was for me that I'd found love again and was moving on.

"God gave you a second chance," she said.

I nodded and smiled.  I agree that I'm very lucky and I am thankful for all the great things in my life.  I have more blessings than I can count. But do I believe that God gave me all those things?  No.  If I did, I could just as easily have responded to my lonely widowed neighbor lady with, "Yeah, it's too bad God doesn't give a shit about you."        



(When I told my fiance this story, she said, "God didn't give you a second chance.  I did.")

But I don't believe God plays favorites.  When good things happen, it's not a reward, and when bad things happen, it's not a punishment.  It's just life.  Sometimes you're the lawnmower, sometimes you're the grass.  Or something like that. 

        

No comments: