Sunday, November 1, 2009

John Shelby Spong: Honorary Timicist

Through my connections to the Unitarian wing of the Timicist movement (or vice-versa, it's really a chicken-and-egg thing), I discovered a brilliant essay by John Shelby Spong, an Episcopal bishop.

"Spong" is much more than just an awesome last name. His essay masterfully puts homophobia in its place, equating it with all the other misguided ways people have used the Bible to oppress minorities throughout our history.

Some excerpts:
I have made a decision. I will no longer debate the issue of homosexuality in the church with anyone...

I will no longer listen to televised debates conducted by "fair-minded" channels that seek to give "both sides" of this issue "equal time." I am aware that these stations no longer give equal time to the advocates of treating women as if they are the property of men or to the advocates of reinstating either segregation or slavery...

The battle is over. The victory has been won. There is no reasonable doubt as to what the final outcome of this struggle will be. Homosexual people will be accepted as equal, full human beings, who have a legitimate claim on every right that both church and society have to offer any of us. Homosexual marriages will become legal, recognized by the state and pronounced holy by the church...

I do not debate any longer with members of the "Flat Earth Society" either. I do not debate with people who think we should treat epilepsy by casting demons out of the epileptic person; I do not waste time engaging those medical opinions that suggest that bleeding the patient might release the infection....
Full text here. I highly recommend it.

Timicism would like to go on record as saying, "hell yeah, you go, Spong!"

Every word of this manifesto fits with Timicism. For his dedication to truth, fairness, harmlessness, and love, I would like to extend an honorary Timicist title (of his choosing) to John Shelby Spong.

Might I recommend the "Sponginator?"

No comments: